Hiring even one employee in-house can be expensive. Consider the following expenses for bringing at least one employee on-site to do all your technical writing projects.
Personal Expenses per Employee:
- Insurance – Health, dental, life insurance?
- Vacation/Sick/Personal – A minimum of 14 days plus holidays?
- Retirement – Do you match retirement, 3%, 6% or more?
Resources per Employee:
- Software – Are you aware of how much technical writing software cost to purchase and maintain?
- Training – Do you have to train your technical writer on the latest software?
- Computer equipment – To get a good computer, and hopefully multiple monitors, for optimum work efficiency, are you aware of the cost?
- Office – Have you added the cost of office space, cubicles, desks, chairs, phones, paper, sticky notes, pens, pencils, ink, heating and air conditioning, and more?
A professional technical writing firm will already have all of the above. When you outsource technical writing to an established firm, they will have the necessary tools to complete your project effectively. You will not need to concern yourself with finding and paying for the appropriate software and all those other costly expenses.
In the end, hiring an outsourced technical writing firm cost less than an in-house employee.